Congrats! Moving is so much fun and I am so excited for you to begin a new journey in your new place! I am working on a comprehensive moving guide to help make this time in your life as joy-filled as possible – while minimizing the stress.
When I first moved out on my own, I was pretty prepared for what I needed. well, I thought that but quickly realized I was forgetting A LOT of things. I know there are so many lists out there of what you need, but I wanted to break it down by area and only put the essentials on here. I will have a whole second list of all the nonessential but nice to have/fun stuff for each space coming soon!
For now keep reading to download my FREE PRINTABLE CHECKLIST OF HOME ESSENTIALS!
- Plates – A set with two size plates and bowls is the best deal you are gonna get. We picked these from Target
- Cups- Basic cups for everything. We chose ones that we could also use for wine to save money. We aren’t fancy with our wine glasses
- Coffee mugs- You probably already have one or two! You don’t need many at first!
- Silverware- a set will save you bank.
- Kitchen utensils- For some this won’t be essential, but for most, it will. We purchased this set on Amazon and love them. They are incredible quality and an amazing deal for so many pieces. You won’t find a better price anywhere. This set was amazing because it included measuring cups and spoons, a bottle opener, a pizza wheel, and more. If you can’t get them all to start with these few.
- Can opener
- bottle opener
- Serving spoon
- Flipper thing
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Pots and pans- Start with one medium size pan and one medium-size pot if you are trying to save money. If you have a larger budget or love to cook and need all the essentials right away, pick out full cookware set like this one. If you get a good quality stainless steel set, it will last a lifetime.
- Kitchen towels
- Cookie sheet
- Oven dish – preferably with a lid!
- Kitchen knives
- Kitchen wash clothes
- Dish scrubber
- Mixing bowl- You can get multiple in a nice set and save money. This pyrex set is my favorite because it comes with lids! Perfect for storing leftovers.
- Coffee maker or hot water kettle if you are into tea
- Oven (usually already there)
- Fridge (usually already there)
- Stove (usually already there)
- Dishwasher or dish drainer if no space
- Seating of some sort. Couch/Chairs etc
- Coffee table/end table or some sort of TV stand
- Lamp if needed
Many living room items are really truly non essential. Yes throw pillows, a TV stand, coffee tables, and decor ALL together are nice, you can make do with what you have for a little while if needed.
Workspace or Office space
- Desk (can be a kitchen table and you have a cart you roll over when its work time.. be creative. You just need a space you know you can work in!)
- Desk supplies (pens, pencils, paper)
- hole punch
- paper cutter
- File organizer, or some sort of storage for the supplies
This space is completely optional but since I am writing this during the COVID19 quarantine it is essential since we are all at home working.
- Shower curtain AND RINGS
- Bath towels
- Wash clothes
- Towel bar (sometimes not included)
- Soap dispenser or dish (unless you use a refillable plastic one)
- Toilet Brush
- Bed (mattress only can be sufficient if budgeting hard, but otherwise a mattress and frame)
- Sheet set with pillowcases
- Laundry basket/hamper
- Lamp if needed
- Pinesol – great multipurpose cleaner for kitchen, bathroom, and floors
- toilet cleaner
- glass cleaner
- Hardwood floor cleaner (if you have hardwood)
- Mop or wet Swiffer or bucket and rags
- Toilet paper
- Reusable paper towel or rag – the paper towel is incredibly wasteful and I don’t feel comfortable recommending it!!!!
- Laundry Detergent
- Front door rug
- Security cameras/locks
- Extension cords
- Command hooks and strips
- Power strips
- Trash cans
- Tool set
One again these are only the BARE MINIMUM essentials. I will have a whole different post on all the nice-to-haves, the organization must-haves, and great decor items to have! I have been that broke AF student moving and only able to afford the basics, so I wanted to put together the basics for you!
Now for what you have been waiting for… drumroll please….. the FREE PRINTABLE CHECKLIST!