Tis the season! Where we spend ridiculous amounts of money on gifts, food, plane tickets, decor.. well actually, not on decor ANYMORE!! There is zero reason to spend a ton of money to decorate for the holidays, when you can do it for so cheap with these tips!
- Your local dollar store! But like an actual dollar store not one of those “up to $10” stores… my local dollar tree had amazing deals on ornaments, bows, ribbon, wrapping paper, and some cute signs! They have great crafts for kids too. For just $20 I got like 4 packages of ornaments, some individual ornaments, fake snow, tinsel, and more!
TIP: skip anything with glitter. It’s cheap and just gets everywhere! Don’t go for the fake snow either, it is full of secret glitter that you will find for ages after the holidays.
- Target dollar section is super obvious but this area has some total scores! Cute coffee mugs, kitchen towels, appetizer plates, little trees.. for like $5/each! I even got a massive blanket scarf there last year in adorable buffalo plaid! They have also some really great signs for the holidays like this joyful one and this amazing $5 interchangeable sign! I wrapped it around a pillow for a pillowcase!
TIP: skip nothing! Except for the electronics. If you like it, get it immediately or it will disappear!
- Wondershop is Target’s Christmas brand in its Christmas section and they have some really great deals. Mini trees for $5-20, mugs for $5, gorgeous tinsel trees or flocked trees for less than $10, and the best steal is their Christmas lights for $3.00/100 lights. They come in white/green string, white/white string, and colored lights with both colored strings!
TIP: skip their wreath-making things, you can get a 40% off coupon at Michael’s or get the same things at the dollar store for much cheaper. Beware the pillows/blankets, if you don’t have a Target Circle coupon, you probably can find a similar one at Michael’s or Kohl’s for much cheaper!
- Walmart actually has pretty good deals on trees! I got my mini tree from here last year and it was great! They also have great prices for outdoor blowup decor!
- Kohl’s has the best deals on cozy blankets for the holidays! On Black Friday they usually always have these super soft blankets on sale for $8! And they are pretty festive! They sell them for about $20 at target.
- Michaels or your favorite craft store. They always have 40% off coupons and holiday sales so you rarely pay full price for anything. The best deals here are on signs and greenery!
TIP: Skip the ornaments and craft kits, they have them cheaper at the dollar store.
what should you splurge on?
Remember, check Youtube for all the DIY’s possible before splurging on a decor piece. Do It On A Dime has great dupes for your favorites from places like Pottery Barn! However, if you have a place to splurge, these things are where your money should go!
- A nice, full size tree. Don’t cut corners here. Go for the one you like best!
- An OUTDOOR wreath. Make sure yours can stand the weather outside! Indoor wreaths are a place to save however.
- Any decor pieces you absolutely love. The holidays are a time for joy, have the things that spark joy around you. For me it was these gnomes. At $10 for three, with zero purpose other than to sit there, I had to get them they were so cute
- Bedding. Throw blankets can come and go, but a nice holiday quilt will go a long way, especially in a guest bedroom. You don’t want guests to be cold!
- Anything with glitter. If its cheap, it will get everywhere.
I hope I can help you save some money while decorating for the holidays! Share your favorite discount holiday finds!